Working inside the fuselage of a Liberator Bomber, Consolidated Aircraft Corp., Fort Worth, Texas. Photographer: Howard R. Hollem. Courtesy of Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, FSA-OWI Collection [Reproduction number: LC-USW361-24 DLC].
The image above is from American Memory Historical Collections from the National Digital Library, D-Lib Magazine's featured collection this month.
William Y. Arms
Editor in Chief
Peter B. Hirtle
Editorial: Spreading the News
To the Editor: Letters
Search Middleware and the Simple Digital Library Interoperability Protocol:
Andreas Paepcke, Stanford University; Robert Brandriff, California Digital Library; Greg Janee, University of California at Santa Barbara; Ray Larson, University of California at Berkeley; Bertram Ludaescher, San Diego Supercomputer Center; Sergey Melnik and Sriram Raghavan, Stanford University
Meeting the Challenge of Film Research in the Electronic Age
Catherine Owen, Tony Pearson, and Stephen Arnold, Performing Arts Data Service, University of Glasgow
Collection-Based Persistent Digital Archives - Part 1
Reagan Moore, Chaitan Baru, Arcot Rajasekar, Bertram Ludaescher, Richard Marciano, Michael Wan, Wayne Schroeder, and Amarnath Gupta, San Diego Supercomputer Center
The Virtual Union Catalog: A Comparative Study
Karen Coyle, California Digital Library
New Millennium, New SOSIG
Justine Kitchen, Resource Discovery Network Centre
XMLMARC Conversion Software Released
Dick R. Miller, Stanford University
Oxford English Dictionary Goes Online
Juliet New, Oxford English Dictionary
New Media Scholarship
Steven Totosy, University of Alberta
ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries
Nabil R. Adam, Rutgers University
JISC Content Developments
Alicia Wise, King's College London
The Art Museum Image Consortium (AMICO) Announces Three New Members for Start of the New Year
Kelly Richmond, AMICO
- Creating Digital Resources for the Visual Arts: Standards and Good Practice
- Two new reports are now available from the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR)
- SIGIR Forum: Online Version
- JASIS: Volume 51 Numbers 5 and 6
- Digitisation of European Cultural Heritage, Products-Principles-Techniques
Point to Point
- Version 29, Scholarly Electronic Publishing Bibliography
- Libraries of the Future Bibliography
- Papers on Document Imaging - Document Management
- Workshop on Research Issues on Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (DMKD 2000)
- Encoding Digital Video for Network Delivery
- The Economics and Use of Digital Library Collections
- EEI21 2000: The Ethics of Electronic Information in the 21st Century, A Scholarly Symposium at the University of Memphis
- ECPA Workshops on Management of Photographic Collections
- Sixteenth International Unicode Conference: Unicode and the Web - The Global Connection
- Electronic Imaging & the Visual Arts: EVA 2000 Florence
- Helping People Find What They Want: Implementing the Dublin Core in Museums: A CIMI Institute
- Electronic Publishing in the Third Millenium: Fourth International Conference on Electronic Publishing
- ACM Multimedia 2000: 8th ACM International Multimedia Conference
- ICC'2000: International ICSC Symposium on Interactive and Collaborative Computing
- Evaluation of Information Management Systems
- VRD 2nd Annual Digital Reference Conference
- Institute of Museum and Library Services: 2000 National Leadership Grants for Libraries and Museums
- Cross-Language Evaluation Forum
- Classification for User Support and Learning
- CHI 2000: ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems
- Electronic Commerce in Information Industries: Technical Frontiers and Institutional Issues for Information Management Professionals
- Diversity Now: People, Collections, and Services in Academic Libraries
- ACM Hypertext '00 and ACM Digital Libraries 2000 Workshops
- EGUK2000: 18th Eurographics UK Conference
- NEXT 1.0: An International Conference
- ASIS Summit 2000 Information Architecture: Defining Information Architecture
- Search Engines and Beyond
- SCECSAL 2000: Standing Conference of Eastern, Central and Southern African Librarians
- Catalogues for the 21st Century
- ICDCS 2000: The 20th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems
- Publishing in the 21st Century: Redefining the Industry
- National Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology Education Digital Library (NSDL) -- Program Solicitation: NSF 00-44
- Museums and the Web 2000
- Managing the Digital Future of Libraries
- The Ninth Off-Campus Library Services Conference (OCLS)
- CONSAL 2000 - 11th Congress of Southeast Asian Librarians: Stepping into the New Millennium
- CCS 2000: 7th ACM Conference on Computer and Communication Security
- Calls for Participation
- Electronic Publishing in the Third Millenium: Fourth International Conference on Electronic Publishing, 17 - 19 August 2000, Kaliningrad State University, Kaliningrad, Russia. Call for papers. The deadline for submission of abstracts is 30 March 2000.
- VRD 2nd Annual Digital Reference Conference, 16 - 17 October 2000, Seattle Washington, USA. Call for papers. Submission deadline: 1 April 2000.
- Cross-Language Evaluation Forum. The deadline for submission of data forms required for participation in CLEF is 1 April 2000.
- ACM Hypertext '00 and ACM Digital Libraries 2000 Workshops. Call for papers. Deadlines for submission range from 3 - 5 April 2000 or as posted at the respective workshop web sites.
- National Science, Mathematics, Engineering, and Technology Education Digital Library (NSDL) -- Program Solicitation: NSF 00-44. Proposal deadline 14 April 2000.
- Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 2 - 6 December 2000, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. Call for papers. The deadline for submission of papers is 28 April 2000.
- ACRL 10th National Conference, 15 - 18 March 2001, Denver, Colorado, USA. Call for participation. Proposal deadline: 1 May 2000.
- ECDL 2000: Fourth European Conference on Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, 18 - 20 September 2000, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Participatory Design Conference 28 November - 1 December 2000, New York City, New York, USA. Call for participation. The submission deadline for papers is 1 May 2000.
- 8th ACM Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, 10 - 11 November 2000, Washington, D.C., USA. Call for papers. The deadline for abstract submission is 8 May 2000.
- 21st Annual International Conference on Information Systems - ICIS 2000, 10 - 13 December 2000, Brisbane, Australia. Call for papers. The submission deadline is 10 May 2000.
- Goings On
- Putting Digital Information to Work: Knowledge Management and Information Policy, 10 - 11 April 2000, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, USA.
- Publishing in the 21st Century: Redefining the Industry, 13 - 15 April 2000, The Library of Congress, Washington, D.C., USA.
- CAA 2000: Computing Archaeology for Understanding the Past, 18 - 21 April 2000, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Beyond Control or Through the Looking Glass? Threats and Liberties in the Electronic Age: An Oxford Colloguium, 28 April 2000, University of Oxford, Oxford, England, United Kingdom.
- Helping People Find What They Want: Implementing the Dublin Core in Museums: A CIMI Institute, 29 - 30 March 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; 27 - 28 April 2000, Amstelveen, The Netherlands; and 31 May - 1 June 2000, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
- ECPA Announces Two Workshops on Management of Photographic Collections, 1 - 5 May 2000, Copenhagen, Denmark and 5 - 9 June 2000, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. The deadline for registration is 27 March 2000.
- C.I.R. 2000: The Challenge of Image Retrieval Conference, 4 - 5 May 2000, Brighton, United Kingdom. The last day for registration at standard rates is 20 April 2000.
- DESIRE II Web Indexing Workshop, 13 - 14 May 2000, Delft, The Netherlands.
- CUMREC 2000: The New Frontier: Creative Solutions for the New Millenium, 14 - 17 May 2000, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- 2000 Information Resources Management Association International Conference 21 - 24 May 2000, Anchorage, Alaska, USA.
- TERENA Networking Conference 2000: Pioneering Tomorrow's Internet, 22 - 25 May 2000, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Libraries in the Digital Age (LIDA): Positioning Libraries on the Internet and Using Internet in Libraries, 25 - 28 May 2000, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Into the Millenium...Cartography and Map Collections for a New Century, 30 May - 4 June 2000, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Moving Theory into Practice: Digital Imaging for Libraries and Archives, first session: 19 - 23 June 2000, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA. Enrollment is imited to 16 participants. Early registration is recommended.
- School for Scanning (by the Northeast Document Conservation Center), 18 - 20 September 2000, Seattle, Washington, USA.
- Pointers in this Column